Setting Up Windows Media Center – Windows Media Center HTPC Build – Part 5
HTPC Build – Part 5
Going to discuss and show how to get WMC up and running with Live TV. This is based on the fact that you would have had to set up HDHomeRun or Ceton software if you are running cabledcard setup. Check Part 4 to get instructions on setting up Ceton software.
1. Basic Setup from first time you open windows media center.
2. Display setup.
3. I chose Flat Panel
4. Connection Type – HDMI
6. Confirm Resolution. Should say 1080p. Select Yes.
7. Finish this Wizard.
8. Setup Sound. Here is where you select your setup. I chose 5.1 surround speakers.
9. If you havent already set up Digital Cable Advisor (required for cablecard to work) go to Extras. Follow steps to Digital Cable Advisor.
10. Now TV Setup. Select your region
11. Enter your Zip Code
12. Select I agree
13. Select Yes to download data now
14. Your cable card tuners should now automatically pop up if you set up ceton software correctly. Mine shows my 6 tuners from Ceton Network 6 Tuner
15. Select Yes to activate cablecard
16. Activate cablecard
17. Now call your cable company and provide cablecard ID and Host ID so they can pair your card. This can be the hard part because most people are terrible about working with cablecards. Try to get specialist. This also might take a couple of different cablecards in order for this to work.
18. Once it is paired successfully select your TV signal Provider. I chose Phoenix Cox Communication (Digital)
19. Next to configure with your tuners
20. Download when connected to get guide update if you havent already
21. If you are like me and use SSD to boot and a separate HDD for storage of recorded TV. WMC sets up recorded tv folder on SSD by default so you need to change this. Go to settings->TV->Recorder->Recorder Storage. Change record on drive to your HDD. In my case it was D: drive. You can set maximum TV limit if you choose. Click Save.
22. Under Settings -> Visual and Sound Effects I unchecked transition animations. This makes WMC much more reactive to remote control. Some people also say to uncheck playing sounds when navigating to prevent handshake issues. I prefer the sounds to get feedback. You can also select your Color scheme. I have tried all and right now Im back to WMC standard. Click save and go back.
23. Stay tuned in order see write up on My Channel Logos so you can customize guide in WMC and make it much better.