Today, going to discuss my choice of remote and options out there.
1. Universal Remotes
There are a few options out there, but I would say almost everybody uses logitech harmony remotes. Not only do they work very well and are easy to set up, but have an option to play very nicely with windows media center.
- Choose which Logitech remote
BEST REMOTE EVER. Touch screen face, buttons feel like they are in the correct position and don’t have to look at remote after awhile of knowing where everything is. Plenty of customization options which come in handy for WMC. Rechargeable!
Not a fan of this remote. Only for 3 devices and was going to use for dead simple second tv for parents but very inconsistent about powering on all devices. Don’t buy this.
I used the first model (1000). It was nice for awhile and visitors liked messing with the touchscreen + it looks nice on coffee table. My touch screen was delayed and didn’t work great. The biggest problem was you constantly have to look at remote to hit any button (this is probably why its discontinued and you can use smartphone now).
- Set up your device and add all of your devices separately (xbox one, ps4, tv, receiver….)
- When adding WMC, click add device, select Computer->Media Center PC->Microsoft->Windows Media Center SE
- I then created Activity – Watch TV. Go through steps to choose which devices you use for each. Then click customize buttons. You can copy what I have if you choose
- I recommend in additional buttons to have a wake computer (PowerToggle) as sometimes you need to sleep or wake up computer without having to go through activating all your devices. This has come in handy many times. Toggle Screen is occasionaly used if some popup is on screen and you want to switch to WMC or Plex. Close App can be useful to close whatever app is in full screen. The mute button is key for me. In my other posts you can read about the last issue I have with WMC sometimes causing system to mute on wake so this button is on main screen and is easy access in case I need it. The WMC and Plex are options to directly run scripts I have made to launch each. You can check out my other post about creating custom scripts to launch either one (including a WOL for plex to wake server automatically).
- Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard N5901
- This works okay for small use. Its small and looks nice but scrolling mouse around big screen is difficult and the keys are very tiny. At night almost impossible to use keyboard.
- Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad
- This works allright as well. Trackpad is decent and you get full keyboard.
- Far and away my favorite HTPC keyboard. A little bigger and bulkier, but it works perfectly. Laser ball isnt perfect, but works for 99% of the tasks I use on my HTPC. Highly recommend.